Simple chicken and dumplings recipe that’s super easy to prepare. Uses Anne’s frozen dumplings and a medium chicken to make this Eastern Shore classic dish.
- 1 whole chicken (2 -3 lbs.)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1(1 1/2 lb) box frozen dumplings, strips
- 12 ounces of chicken stock
- Rinse chicken and place in a large pot
- In a large pot boil the chicken with bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer for an hour
- Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a platter to cool slightly. After the chicken has cooled enough to handle, separate the meat from the bones. Discard bones and skin.
- Pull chicken meat apart into small pieces.
- Skim most of the fat from the broth and add enough water to get 4 or 5 quarts.
- Bring the broth back to a boil and drop the frozen dumplings, a few at a time. It doesn’t matter if the frozen dumplings break in this process. Stir occasionally to keep them from sticking together.
- After all of the dumplings have been added to boiling stock, reduce to medium heat. Let them boil for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in chicken meat and extra chicken stock. This will add a bit more salt and depth to the flavor.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- I serve this with cornbread; green peas are a good side dish.