- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced cooked turkey kielbasa
- 4 scallions, whites, and greens separated, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms (button, cremini, or shiitake), stems removed, sliced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¹⁄₂ cup low-sodium chicken broth Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¹⁄₂ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¹⁄₂ cup quick-cooking grits
- ¹⁄₄ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add the kielbasa; cook for a few minutes, until lightly browned. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and mushrooms.
Cook until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the shrimp and continue cooking until the shrimp are just pink and firm to the touch. Stir in the broth and cook for another 3 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half and the shrimp are cooked all the way through. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
While the shrimp are cooking, cook the grits according to the package instructions. When they’re thick and creamy, add the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the grits and shrimp among 4 bowls and garnish with the scallion greens.