I love this crab cake egg rolls appetizer because it resonates with the past and present food cultures in my hometown of Salisbury. It’s a food truck recipe that’s inspired by Maryland’s most famous seafood dish, the crab cake, so it’s easy to eat with your hands.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a commission for qualifying purchases. See my affiliate disclosure for details.
I mastered the making recipe over the years. but even on a personal level, this Chesapeake Bay recipe tastes a little different each time based on the seasonal nature of the ingredients. It’s one of my favs for home cooking as well as stealing the appetizer thunder at a weekend tailgate party!
TECHNIQUE TIP: Try to maintain the oil’s heat around 350 F to 375 F to ensure egg rolls cook evenly and maintain a crispy crust after frying.
CRAB CAKE MIXTURE
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon blackening seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon blackening seasoning
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon blackening seasoning
CRAB CAKE EGG ROLLS
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Crab cake mixture
- 1/4 cup Shredded medium-aged cheddar (optional)
- 4 egg roll wrappers
- 12 cups of canola oil
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
MAKE THE CRAB CAKE MIXTURE:
1. Pour crab meat into a mixing bowl, being careful not to break up the lumps.
2. Add panko breadcrumbs and gently fold them into the crab meat.
3. Add the mayo, Old Bay and blackening seasonings, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
4. Gently mix to combine crab meat with the wet and dry seasonings, then chill before using.
MAKE THE KICKIN’ SAUCE:
In a smaller bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
MAKE THE AIOLI SAUCE:
In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
MAKE THE CRAB CAKE EGG ROLLS:
1. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash.
2. Add ½ cup of crab mixture to each egg roll wrapper.
3. Sprinkle in a few pinches of shredded cheddar on top of the crab mixture. You may skip the cheese if desired.
4. Brush the edges of the egg roll wrapper with the egg wash.
5. Fold the sides together like an envelope and roll together (firmly, but not too tight) until the crab meat is fully covered by the wrapper.
6. In a fryer or deep pan, preheat oil to 350 to 370 F.
7. Fry egg rolls for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove egg rolls from the oil and let drain on a paper towel.
9. To serve, cut diagonally and drizzle warhead and aioli sauces across the egg rolls, or serve on the side as dipping sauces. Garnish with fresh parsley or greens and enjoy!